Drawing Portraits (10 weeks) more classes
Early-bird special: $200, after July 1: $275.
Members only. If you are not a member, come to join us before you sign up for this class.
Tuesdays 10am - 12:30pm EST. September 6 - November 8, 2022
This oil painting program is for all levels of oil painting learners, beginner to advance. Some drawing experience recommended. In this portrait drawing learning program, you will be introduced to the techniques and the workflow of portrait drawing. It includes the following three parts.
Part one - basic portrait drawing
In the first four weeks of the program, we will use a classical drawing training method. Through class demonstrations, step-by-step in-class practice, homework assignments, and in-class critiques, you will learn
- how to do composition studies
- how to use different measuring techniques to determine facial proportions
- how to discover the connection between large shapes and details within the face
- how to represent forms and create a realistic facial likeness
Part two - shapes in portrait drawing
During the second three weeks of the program, you will learn about balance and value, and how they are used to bring out personality in a portrait. Through class demonstrations, step-by-step in-class practice, homework assignments, and in-class critiques, you will learn
- how to perceive light and shadow
- how to analyze and establish balance and values
- how to simplify complex shapes
- how to discover the personality of children from photo references
- how to use composition and visual elements to bring out your understanding and expression
Part three - how to finish a portrait
In the last three weeks of the program, you will draw a realistic portrait. You will learn
- the steps used in the whole portrait creation
- how to use the shapes of light and shadow to highlight the contours of the human face
- how to analyze the value and temperature of colors and how to mix skin tones for different parts of a face
The format of the 10-week classes will be fully interactive using a step-by-step approach. At the end of the program, you will have a clear understanding of the complete process of portrait drawing, and will be ready to take on your own children’s portrait project and enjoy it.
If you have to miss a class, don’t worry. The full videos of our Zoom class meetings will be uploaded to the class website for your easy review and learning.
When you have completed your homework assignment, upload it to the dedicated class review area. Class members are encouraged to give suggestions and technique reminders to each other. There will also be homework coaching sessions where Yong will give suggestions for individual improvement.
Scheduled class time is based on Boston, Massachusetts’ time zone (EST).
Classes will be held on Zoom. Both audio and camera are to be on during the class. Please be sure both are working.
Refunds will only be honored for email cancellation requests made 3 days (72 hours) in advance of the class, using the email firstname.lastname@example.org. Refunds will not be generated for any reason after this time. No refunds will be honored for no shows, forgetting, technical problems, etc.
Screen shots containing images of class members or the professor may not be reproduced in any form, as it is against the law.